To have a clearer understanding of ministry to women, you need to know the history of the Assemblies of God. We are a Fellowship that has been richly blessed by God’s power and grace. Our founders were committed to reaching the world for Christ, which explains why missions has always been a major focus within the Fellowship. This rich heritage founded on biblical principles continues to touch the hearts of men and women around the world.
Following the pattern set by the Early Church at Pentecost (see Acts 1 and 2), Christians at the turn of the twentieth century experienced the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Pockets of revival began to spread throughout the United States, initiating the modern Pentecostal Movement. Leaders within this Movement came together and established the General Council of the Assemblies of God in 1914, with national offices in Springfield, Missouri. Our founders later formulated 16 Fundamental Truths, which remain foundational to our Fellowship today.
Assemblies of God Beliefs
The 16 Fundamental Truths are nonnegotiable tenets of faith to which all Assemblies of God churches adhere. Briefly stated, we believe:
1. The Scriptures are inspired by God.
2. There is only one true God, revealed in the Trinity.
3. The Lord Jesus Christ was born both divine and human.
4. Mankind willingly fell to sin, though originally good.
5. Every person can have restored fellowship with God through salvation.
6. The practice of two ordinances:
a. water baptism by immersion after salvation, and
b. Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's death.
7. The baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation.
8. The initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues.
9. Sanctification initially occurs at salvation, and is also a lifelong process of separating from evil.
10. The Church has a mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin.
11. A divinely called and scripturally ordained leadership ministry serves the Church.
12. Divine healing of the sick is a privilege for Christians today.
13. Jesus will rapture His Church prior to His return to earth (the Second Coming).
14. At His Second Coming, Jesus will return for His millennial reign on earth.
15. A final judgment will take place for those who have rejected Christ.
16. Christ is preparing new heavens and a new earth for all people who have accepted Him.
Four of these beliefs are considered the core beliefs of the Fellowship. You may hear them referred to as the cardinal doctrines:
1. Salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ, resulting in a life of holiness (Luke 24:47; John 3:3,16,17; Romans 8:16; 10:13-15; Ephesians 2:8,9; 4:24; Titus 2:11-12; 3:5-7)
2. Divine healing through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ (Isaiah 53:5; Matthew 8:16,17)
3. Baptism in the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance (Acts 1:4,8; 2:4;
8:12-17; 10:44-46; 11:14-16; 15:7-9; 1 Corinthians 12:1-31)
4. The second coming of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:51-52; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Titus 2:13)
Assemblies of God Mission and Values
Evangelism and discipleship have always been foundational objectives of the Assemblies of God. Consequently, Assemblies of God missionaries, spurred by the Holy Spirit, have carried the light of the gospel to the farthest reaches of the globe.
The Assemblies of God is committed to fulfilling a fourfold mission. Our primary reason for being is to:
1. evangelize the lost,
2. worship God,
3. disciple believers, and
4. demonstrate God's love through compassion.
In light of this, the Assemblies of God is committed to the following core values:
- Passionately proclaim, at home and abroad, by word and deed Jesus as Savior, Baptizer in the Holy Spirit, Healer, and Soon Coming King
- Strategically invest in the next generation
- Vigorously plant new churches
- Skillfully resource our Fellowship
- Fervently pray for God's favor and help as we serve Him with pure hearts and noble purpose
List ways your ministry can help fulfill the mission of the Assemblies of God.
 View 16 Fundamental Truths at http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Statement_of_Fundamental_Truths/sft_short.cfm.
All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise marked, are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblicia, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com. The “NIV” and “New International Version” are trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by Biblica, Inc.™
“Heritage of Ministry to and by Women” is published by the National Women’s Department at www.women.ag.org, 2020. Permission to reproduce is limited to personal use or within a teaching setting. All other forms of use are prohibited.