Since its beginning in 1925, ministry to women has grown into a vital and powerful movement involving women across all spectrums of the church. Through this exciting ministry, women are touching the world in varied and creative ways. They are building an environment for women to mentor women—a place where women can learn, practice biblical love, and experience Christ in a very real way.
Take a moment to observe the women in your church and consider what you see. You will notice women from all different social and family situations, backgrounds, and stages of life. But each of them shares a common need: to personally know and be known by the Master.
We hope you will catch a vision as you read about the formation, development, and purpose of Assemblies of God ministry to women. With the help of the Holy Spirit, may you be encouraged to share the hope of the gospel with women in a more profound way. Leadership is an incredible responsibility, but with God’s help and blessing, it is truly a rewarding calling.
The following aspects will reveal the rich heritage of ministry to and by women:
• History of the Assemblies of God
• Role of women in ministry
• Development of ministry to women
• Functions of national, district, and local women’s leaders
• www.women.ag.org—official website of the National Women’s Department
• www.ag.org—official website of the Assemblies of God
• www.ifphc.org—historical photos/documents from the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center archives
• Anointed to Serve, by William W. Menzies (Gospel Publishing House, 1971), www.gospelpublishing.com. [The story of the Assemblies of God. Includes photographs from the early 1900s to 1970. Captures the mood, aspirations, and dynamics of the men and women who comprise the Fellowship, and outlines the organization behind the Movement.]
About the Author
EMILY THARP is lead copywriter for the Marketing Department of the AG National Leadership and Resource Center, and a freelance brand messaging strategist. In 2009, she graduated from Evangel University with a degree in journalism and advertising. She and her husband Ryan live in Springfield, Missouri, with their son Riley, where they spend most of their time hanging out, reading books, and playing with their cat.
All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise marked, are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblicia, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com. The “NIV” and “New International Version” are trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by Biblica, Inc.™
“Heritage of Ministry to and by Women of the Assemblies of God” is published by the National Women’s Department at www.women.ag.org, 2020. Permission to reproduce is limited to personal use or within a teaching setting. All other forms of use are prohibited.